Life happens, LRHS is here to help!
We understand it can be difficult to surrender a pet – our team is here to help find the best possible solution for you and your pet.
How to Surrender
- Call LRHS to set a surrender appointment. Surrenders are by appointment only.
- Provide LRHS with contact information for your pets veterinarian, if available.
- Complete the Animal Intake Form AND the Cat or Dog Profile. We suggest you complete paperwork in advance to keep the appointment as brief as possible. These appointments can be traumatic for pets and their people.
The more information you can supply, the better job we can do re-homing your pet.
LRHS may decline a surrender if:
- Your town is contracted with a different Humane Society.
- During the behavior assessment the animal is found to exhibit dangerous behaviors.
- LRHS is at maximum capacity; in this case you will be placed on a waiting list and contacted when space is available.
- You obtained the pet from a different Humane Society or Rescue and they want the animal returned to them.
There are no surrender fees for residents in our contracted towns of Ossipee, Effingham, Wolfeboro, Wakefield & Tuftonboro. A donation to help cover your pet’s medical and kenneling costs is welcome but not required.
LRHS is a “limited admission shelter”. We will not take in animals who require euthanasia. LRHS does not have a Veterinarian on staff.