LRHS Adoption Process:
- Complete the adoption application & contract then fax, scan, mail or drop it by the shelter OR apply online here. For online submissions, we suggest you follow up with a phone call to ensure it was properly submitted.
- We will call you with the status of your application.
- If approved, we will call to schedule a “Meet and Greet” appointment for everyone who resides in the household visit the potential pet. If you are looking to adopt a dog and already own dogs, they will be required to come and meet the new dog to assess compatibility before an adoption occurs.
- If the Meet and Greet goes smoothly, you may choose to adopt! During the adoption you will be asked to sign the adoption contract and pay in full via check, cash or card.
LRHS ensures dogs placed for adoption are current on Rabies, Distemper and Bordatella vaccinations and are spayed/neutered, microchipped and administered flea/tick and heart-worm treatments monthly.
LRHS ensures cats are current on Rabies and Distemper vaccinations, spayed/neutered, microchipped, test negative for Feline Leukemia and FIV, and receive their monthly flea treatments.
If a pet has a medical condition or behavioral issue, LRHS will make certain you are aware of the issue(s) before you adopt.
Adopters will receive a certificate for a free veterinary exam by Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital, Meadow Pond Veterinary Hospital or The Kindness Animal Hospital, copies of all medical and behavioral paperwork for their new pet and a free starter bag of food and other goodies to help with the transition into a new home.
Canine Adoption Fees
- Puppies (8 months -1 year): $350*
- Dogs-Adult: $300
- Dogs over 7 years old: $125
Cat Adoption Fees
- Kittens (8 months to 1 year): $160*
- Cats-Adults: $85
- Cats over 7 years old: $70
A refundable $40 deposit is required for all puppies/kittens who are adopted before LRHS can spay/neuter them. Once you get them spayed/neutered, your $40 deposit will be refunded to you.
With proof of military ID, veterans and military personal qualify to have all their adoption fees sponsored by Chris’s Pets for Vets. Spay/neuter deposits will remain the responsibility of the adopter.
Senior to Senior Discount
This discount is offered to adults 65-75 years old. If you qualify for the Sr. to Sr. discount we will match you up with an animal over the age of 7 for a discounted rate. This discount is not to be combined with any other offer or discounts.
- Cats over the age 7 = $20 off the original adoption fee.
- Dogs over the age of 7 =$40 off the original adoption fee.
Barn Cat Program
Welcoming a cat into your barn can decrease rodent populations and, as a result, help to protect your food supplies, electrical wiring and insulation. These hand selected cats enjoy living independently and hunting but are not necessarily fond of human contact or living in a home.
There is no fee to adopt a barn cat. Donations to assist with medical care are appreciated but not required.
How it works:
- Submit the “Barn Cat Adoption Application & Contract“
- Once approved, you will be placed on the “Barn Cat Call List”
- LRHS will call you when your barn cat is ready for adoption!
Every barn cat departing LRHS will have the following vetting completed:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Ear tipped
- Negative FIV and Feline Leukemia test
- Rabies and Distemper Vaccinations
- Flea/Tick preventative (good for 1 month)
In return for this complimentary service LRHS asks that you commit to providing your barn cat with:
- fresh cat food and water daily
- a dry and secure barn, garage, warehouse or building for cats to reside in
- long term veterinary care as needed