Our goal is to care and provide enrichment for each pet while we seek out a perfect forever home for him/her. Adopting from LRHS gives you the opportunity to meet and bond with your future pet prior to making the commitment to adopt. If you have an existing dog, our professional dog trainers and kennel techs will ensure all dogs in the home meet and get along before sending a new dog home. If you run into unforeseen behavioral or medical issues, educated staff are here to field your questions and concerns.
LRHS ensures all dogs placed for adoption are to date on Rabies, Distemper and Bordatella vaccinations and are spayed/neutered, microchipped and administered flea/tick and heartworm treatments monthly.
If a pet has a medical condition or behavioral issue, LRHS will make certain you are aware of the issue(s) before you adopt.
LRHS ensures all cats placed for adoption are to date on Rabies and Distemper vaccinations, are spayed/neutered, microchipped, test negative for Feline Leukemia and FIV, and receive their monthly flea treatments.
Upon adoption, owners receive a certificate for a free veterinary exam by Winter Harbor, Meadow Pond or The Kindness Animal Hospital and a free starter bag of food!
LRHS Adoption Process:
- Complete adoption application & contract and fax, scan, mail or drop it by the shelter. You can also apply online here.
- LRHS staff will call to let you know if your application was approved or not.
- LRHS will schedule a “Meet and Greet” appointment. This appointment is for everyone who resides in the household to come over and meet the potential pet. (dogs included)
- If the Meet and Greet goes smoothly, we will schedule the official Adoption Appointment. During this appointment you will be asked to sign the adoption contract and pay.
Canine Adoption Fees
- Puppies (8 months -1 year): $350*
- Dogs-Adult: $175
- Dogs over 7 years old: $115
Cat Adoption Fees
- Kittens (8 months to 1 year): $160*
- Cats-Adults: $85
- Cats over 7 years old: $65
A refundable $40 deposit is required for all puppies/kittens who are adopted before LRHS can spay/neuter them. Once you get them spayed/neutered, your $40 deposit will be refunded to you.
With proof of military ID, veterans and military personal will receive $10 off a cat adoption fee or $20 off a dog adoption fee. This discount is not to be combined with any other offer or discounts.
Senior to Senior Discount
This discount is offered to adults 65-75 years old. If you qualify for the Sr. to Sr. discount we will match you up with an animal over the age of 7 for a discounted rate. This discount is not to be combined with any other offer or discounts.
- Cats over the age 7 = $20 off the original adoption fee.
- Dogs over the age of 7 =$40 off the original adoption fee.
Barn Cat Program
Welcoming a cat into your barn can decrease rodent populations and, as a result, helps to protect your food supplies, electrical wiring and insulation. These hand selected cats enjoy living independently and hunting but are not necessarily fond of humane contact or living in a home.
There is no fee to adopt a barn cat. Donations to assist with medical care are appreciated but not required.
How it works:
- Submit the “Barn Cat Adoption Application & Contract“
- Once approved, you will be placed on the “Barn Cat Call List”
- LRHS will call you when your barn cat is ready for adoption!
Every barn cat departing LRHS will have the following vetting completed:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Ear tipped
- Negative FIV and Feline Leukemia test
- Rabies and Distemper Vaccinations
- Flea/Tick preventative (good for 1 month)
In return for this complimentary service LRHS asks that you commit to providing your barn cat with:
- fresh cat food and water daily
- a dry and secure barn, garage, warehouse or building for cats to reside in
- long term veterinary care as needed