If a pet has a known medical condition or behavioral issue, LRHS will make certain you are aware of the issue(s) before you adopt.
Adopters will receive a certificate for a free veterinary exam by Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital, Meadow Pond Veterinary Hospital or The Kindness Animal Hospital, copies of all medical and behavioral paperwork, a free starter bag of food, and other goodies to help with the transition into a new home.
Canine Adoption Fees
- Puppies (8 weeks -1 year): $350*
- Dogs-Adult: $300
- Dogs over 7 years old: $125
Cat Adoption Fees
- Kittens (8 weeks to 1 year): $160*
- Cats-Adults: $85
- Cats over 7 years old: $70
A refundable $40 deposit is required for all puppies/kittens who are adopted before LRHS can spay/neuter them. Once you get them spayed/neutered, your $40 deposit will be refunded to you.
With proof of military ID, veterans and military personal qualify to have all their adoption fees sponsored by Chris Hero Pups. Spay/neuter deposits will remain the responsibility of the adopter.
Barn Cat Program
Welcoming a cat into your barn can decrease rodent populations and, as a result, help to protect your food supplies, electrical wiring and insulation. These hand selected cats enjoy living independently and hunting but are not necessarily fond of human contact or living in a home.
There is no fee to adopt a barn cat. Donations to assist with medical care are appreciated but not required.
How it works:
- Submit the “Barn Cat Adoption Application & Contract“
- Once approved, you will be placed on the “Barn Cat Call List”
- LRHS will call you when your barn cat is ready for adoption!
Every barn cat departing LRHS will have the following vetting completed:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Ear tipped
- Negative FIV and Feline Leukemia test
- Rabies and Distemper Vaccinations
- Flea/Tick preventative (good for 1 month)
In return for this complimentary service LRHS asks that you commit to providing your barn cat with:
- fresh cat food and water daily
- a dry and secure barn, garage, warehouse or building for cats to reside in
- long term veterinary care as needed